By Charis Moffitt
Proverbs 19:21 (ASV): There are many devices in a man's heart; But the counsel of Jehovah, that shall stand.
James 4:13-15: Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; 14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.”
A friend asked me once why I said “Lord willing” so many times. I told her it was Biblical and when we say we are doing this or that, in reality we’re saying that we know the future and we are not allowing God to be part of our decisions.
- Jeremiah 10:23 (ASV): O Jehovah, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.
- Proverbs 16:9 (ASV): A man's heart deviseth his way; But Jehovah directeth his steps. Proverbs 20:24 (ASV): A man's goings are of Jehovah; How then can man understand his way?
Sometimes, even we who are Christians rely on our own selves more than we rely on God. Many of us work during the week and make plans for the weekend or for vacation. We face issues and decisions in our daily lives. And there is nothing wrong with making plans, but we should include God in these plans because our physical and spiritual blessings are from God.
- Proverbs 10:22 (ASV): The blessing of Jehovah, it maketh rich; And he addeth no sorrow therewith.
- Matthew 7:7-8: Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
Prayer is one important way that we can include God in our plans.
- Philippians 4:6: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;...
- Ephesians 6:18: ...praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—...
- Proverbs 15:8 (ASV): The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to Jehovah; But the prayer of the upright is his delight.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 : …pray without ceasing,...
Jesus, our pattern, prayed unto God:
- Luke 6:12: Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
Not only do we need to pray to God before we do something, we need to make sure we are making choices that are pleasing unto God. God instructs us with His Word.
- Psalm 37:23 (ASV): A man's goings are established of Jehovah; And he delighteth in his way.
- 2 Timothy 2:15: Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Jesus, our pattern, did the will of his Father:
- Luke 22:41-42: And He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and prayed, 42 saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.”
- John 6:38: For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
It’s hard sometimes to rely on others. As humans we like to be self-sufficient; we want to do something; we want to make our own decisions and we don’t always think ahead about the consequences of those decisions. But we should rely on God and take our petitions, our plans, and our daily stresses to him.
Let us live 2012 in an “if the Lord wills” frame of mind. Happy New Year!!